Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and I thought it would be fun to share some healthy ideas for gifts and dates… because Peter and I can’t be the only ones in the world who don’t drink (Wine Bar is out) and think the food at most restaurants is sub-par (dinner and a movie is out).
Peter and I have been together for 8+ years so we have some experience with Valentine’s Day ;)
I asked Peter what the best gift I ever gave him for Valentine’s Day was (I knew exactly what he was going to say) and he said it was homemade chocolate I made him a few years back. Unfortunately it was before The Seasonal Diet so I don’t have a copy of the recipe to share but I remember making a few different flavors: chocolate peppermint, chocolate peanut butter and chocolate coconut. He went on and on about those for a while… score!
The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach… It’s definitely true in my relationship!
The best present Peter ever gave me was The Mat.
I know what you’re thinking… a yoga mat, really?
Doesn’t sound that great but it was a few years back and I was really getting into yoga and needed a new mat. Peter surprised me with the cream of the crop non-slip, super durable mat. He even wrapped it with heart garland! I wasn’t expecting it, I don’t think he had ever been in Lululemon, which resulted in a happy camper on my end ;)
The point is, Valentine’s gifts can really be anything. I think it’s important to think about your special someone and get them something that they would like and ties in with your relationship.
Whether you’re single, in a relationship or even celebrating with kids – I have a healthy idea for you!
10 DATE IDEAS:
- Make a Healthy Dinner at Home. Buy some fresh flowers, light some candles, turn on some music and set the mood. Seasonal Diet Members you should have plenty of recipes to choose from! Not a member yet? Check out these Recipes!
- Do an Art Project. Vision boards are fun to do with your partner as you can pin pictures of things you want to do together or places you want to go. They’re also fun to do with kids; let your kids cut out and glue pictures of things they love and then find places around the house for your kids to hang them.
- Make/Paint Pottery. These are popping up all over town; little shops where you can make pottery from clay, fire it and paint it. There are also studios with the pottery already made and you can just do the painting. Peter and I have done this a few times and it’s a lot of fun.
- Rent Movies and Bundle up.
- Fancy Massage’s. Nothing beats a good back or foot massage at the end of a long day. Peter loves back massages… so you know what he’s getting ;)
- Breakfast in Bed.
- Dinner Outside. Cozy up with blankets and bring a picnic to a park, beach or your back yard.
- Go to a Musical or a Play. Peter and I were thinking about this but nothing funny and upbeat will be playing in our area.
- Plan your Next Vacation. Even if it’s not in the cards for awhile, it’s still fun to dream and plan it out. Where will you go & stay? What restaurants will you visit?
- Do Something Active. Take a yoga class together, or a dance class, or even hit the gym and do a joint workout.
5 HEALTHY GIFT IDEAS:
- Flowers, Cards and Candy. Make this healthy and interesting by making your own cards; use pictures and different colored paper. Pick up some dark chocolate from your local Whole Foods Market (70% of higher, is the healthy stuff) and maybe get a plant instead of flowers as they help purify the air and last long.
- Homemade Chocolates, Truffles or Peanut Butter Cups! Homemade treats were a big hit in my house, maybe they will be in yours too! Make sure you think about the presentation, very important!
- Something Big or Small They’ve Been Talking About A Lot! Even if it’s not romantic, it shows that you’ve been listening – and trust me, that goes a long way.
- Yoga Classes. Peter reminded me that this could be taken the wrong way :) But if your significant other is into say hot yoga, a 5 class pass might be a nice gesture.
- This Book. LOVE SENSE… I haven’t read it yet, but have heard nothing but good things!
Moral of this post is to find a gift that fits your relationship! Every relationship is a little different, but whatever you end up doing or giving be sure to have some fun with it!
If you’re curious what peter and I are going to be doing… We’ll be staying in and working on a surprise art project and I will be making a surprise dinner… with a new recipe I’m really excited to make for him!
HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!!
Are you celebrating?
If so, what do you prefer? Staying in or going out?
…and what’s on the agenda :)