Peter loves soup, like could have it a few times a week and never be sick of it. Me on the other hand, I ate a lot of soup and stew growing up – so I’m more of the once-a-month type or have to be really cold to crave it.
But being married means compromising, right?
Well lucky for me I have friends that are willing to share their awesome soup recipes with me AND you as well.
This recipe was created by my online friend Sophia who blogs over at Veggies Don’t Bite, she seriously has the cutest little boys I have ever seen:) And creates amazing recipes, like this one!
Now before I share the recipe, I want to make sure you get our entire free recipe bundle. You Can Download it Here
If I’m going to eat soup, I want it simple and full of flavor. This recipe doesn’t disappoint:)
Easy Kale, White Bean and Veggie Soup
- 2 cups dry cannellini beans, or other white bean (soaked overnight with 2 tsp. baking soda)
- 1 onion
- Splash of your favorite oil for sautéing (or veggie broth if avoiding oil)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 package smoke flavored tempeh
- 64 oz veggie broth
- 1 bunch kale
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Place 2 cups dry beans in a large bowl of water with 2 teaspoons baking soda (to help beans cook faster and evenly with other soup ingredients) and soak overnight. Make sure you have at least triple the amount of water than beans to make sure beans stay covered. I had the best luck with Cannellini beans, I tried other white beans but they took much longer to cook.
- Rinse soaked beans well to remove all traces of baking soda.
- Chop onion and sauté in large pot until soft. Add chopped carrots, beans, oregano and thyme and sauté 5 more minutes. Add tempeh and sauté a few more minutes.
- Add veggie broth, taste to see if more salt is needed, and bring soup to a boil. Once boiling, turn to low and simmer for about 40-50 minutes, checking beans often for consistency.
- Add kale about 30 minutes into cooking so it doesn’t get too soft. Once beans are soft turn off heat and serve.