One question Peter and I get asked all the time about our diet is:
Don’t you miss ____ (cheese, dairy, meat, fast food, soft tacos, diet coke)?
And on and on…
I’m pretty sure when I first went gluten-free I missed bagels and donuts. I worked at an office and they were always in my face… can you blame me:)
But I can honestly say no, I don’t miss any of that stuff.
Because I know what things like Taco Time Soft Tacos contain (antibiotics, 2200 grams of sodium, GMO’s, among other scary things) and how unhealthy they are for my bod!
My body is my temple & my health is my wealth.
If you haven’t caught on by now, in high school and college I was obsessed with soft tacos from Taco Time!
They were soft, salty, sweet and full of flavor…. mmmmm
So today is an extra special day as I have recreated my old guilty pleasure and now you can enjoy it as well!
Because your health is just as important as mine:)
I hope you give this recipe a try and love it as much as we do!
PS – we used Food For Life brown rice tortillas. If you use these, make sure you heat them on a skillet first or they won’t hold together.
Vegan Soft Tacos with Raw Nut Meat
- 1 package gluten-free tortillas
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 2 cups lettuce, chopped
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut yogurt
- ½ a lemon
- dash granulated garlic
- dash sea salt
- 1 container of your favorite salsa
- 1½ cups walnuts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 Tbsp cumin
- 3 tsp. coriander
- 1 dash sea salt
- 2 tsp.braggs liquid aminos or tamari
- Wash and chop all vegetables and lay out on a platter.
- Mash avocado and add garlic and salt. Place in a small bowl and set aside.
- Scoop coconut yogurt into a bowl and add lemon juice, stir, then set aside.
- Then make taco nut meat by placing all ingredients in a food processor. Process until walnut mixture looks like meat. You don't want to run it too long or it will turn into walnut butter. You may have to scrape down sides once before it's done, then pulse a couple more times. Place mixture in a bowl and set aside.
- Now heat tortillas on the stove and store in a pan or container to keep them warm.
- Assemble tacos by placing a bit of everything into each shell and eating right away.
Make the recipe and let us know how you like it.
Now it’s your turn, any guilty pleasures?! Foods you’d like to see a little healthier?