Mochi Banh Mi
Author: The Seasonal Diet
- 1 package of mochi
- ¼ of a red onion
- ½ a jalapeno
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
- 2 Tbsp. mint
- 2 Tbsp. tamari
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. sriracha (optional)
- 1 small package sprouted tofu
- ¼ cup tamari
- Remove mochi from refrigerator and set on counter 30 minutes before you want to get started (helps soften it up)
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Drain water from tofu and cut tofu length-wise into 4 slabs. Then cut each of those in half width-wise for a total of 8 pieces. Place them in a dish and pour tamari over the top. Flip tofu making sure all liquid is absorbed.
- Place on an oiled baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes.
- Then flip & broil for 5 more.
- Next make avocado mayo by placing avocado flesh, mustard, oil, sriracha and tamari in the food processor. Blend until smooth. (Will be salty but perfect for the sandwich)
- Next shred carrot, cut onion into strips, cut tomatoes and jalapenos and mint into slices or strips.
- Next preheat your waffle iron and lightly oil. Cut mochi into 4 stripes width-wise. Place 2 strips on waffle iron and close iron. Hold iron closed with pressure until finished.... about 3 - 6 minutes (will depend on waffle iron) Take mochi out and separate into 2 pieces, which act as the slices of bread.
- To assemble, spread avocado mayo on slices of mochi, then tofu and desired vegetables. Squash down and dig in! Will be messy, but is delicious!