Today we wanted to share a black eyed pea recipe with you! Black eyed peas are said to bring good luck in the New Year. But if we’re being honest, this is a healthy pizza recipe too delicious not to share;)
But first let’s recap some highlights of the past year:
- Working with so many amazing farms and CSA’s. To name a few… JR Organics, Naturally To Your Door, Eli’s Farms, Urban Fresh, Coral Tree Farm…Thank You So Much!
- Creating an online community of health conscious eaters through the SRS
- Finding our lovely home less than 1 mile from the beach
- Making new friends in San Diego and online
- Completing So Cal Ragnar as an ultra-team
- Spending the holidays back home in Seattle with our friends and family
As we look back, we’re reminded that the things which brought us the most happiness were spending time with our friends and family and working on projects we were really passionate about.
Our goal for 2014 is to stay focused! And to say no to projects that we are not excited about and to say yes to projects that light us up and lift our spirit!
Because that is going to make us the happiest in 2014.
And now time for your recipe:
Lucky Black Eyed Pea Pizza
- 3/4 cup + 3 Tbsp. warm water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. flax meal
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp.garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups corn meal
- 1/2 cup walnuts (toasted)
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 a lemon, juiced
- 1 dash of salt
- 1 tomato
- 4 cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 a red onion + 4 Tbsp. raw for on top
- 1 cup black eyed peas, cooked
- nutritional yeast (optional)
- red chili flakes (optional)
- 4 grinds/dashes of sea salt (not optional)
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Make pesto by placing all ingredients into the food processor and blending until smooth. You may have to scrape down sides a few times. Once finished processing, taste and adjust seasonings to desired flavor.
Next make the crust. Start by placing flax meal, oil, water and crust seasonings in a medium bowl. Stir well and set aside for 5 minutes.
In a large bowl combine the flours and stir to blend the two. After 5 minutes have passed, add flax mixture to flour bowl. Stir everything together well. Knead the dough with your hands inside the bowl for 30 seconds. Next, lightly oil baking sheet. Using your hands spread out dough to desired shape and thickness.
Place dough in oven for 14 minutes.
While dough is cooking, chop up remaining toppings. In a small sauce pan lightly saute chopped mushrooms and onions. When pizza is finished take out of oven and top with pesto, black eyed peas, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes. Then place back in the oven for 5 minutes, turn to broil and cook for 2 more minutes. Serve hot top with raw red onion, sea salt and nutritional yeast, red pepper flakes if using!
Happy New Year and Happy Cooking!