Juicy Beet Burgers
Author: The Seasonal Diet
- 2 cups black eyed peas, cooked (or black beans)
- 1½ cups oat flour
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (ground)
- 2 small/medium red beets
- ½ cup parsley
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. rosemary
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- sea salt & pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Slice beets into thirds. Fill a medium-sized pot with about 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add beets and cook until you can pierce with a fork, should take 15-20 minutes.
- While the beets cook, place pumpkin seeds in a coffee grinder and grind until a powder is formed. If you don't have a coffee grinder place them in the food processor with the oats. Now, place oats in the food processor and process until oat flour is formed. Place oats and pumpkin seeds in a large bowl.
- Chop onion/garlic, and lightly sauté until onion becomes clear and fragrant, about 5 min. You may need a little oil or water for cooking. Once cooked, turn off heat and set aside.
- Now put the grater attachment on the food processor and grate the cooked beets. Then add the S blade attachment back to the food processor.
- With beets already in the food processor add onion mixture, 1 cup of beans, parsley and all of the seasonings. Process and then stop and stir. Repeat until everything is well combined.
- Pour mixture into bowl with oat flour, add remaining cup of beans. Mix well, and mash up beans. Use your hands to ensure it’s well combined. Place bowl in the fridge for at least 20 minutes, up to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- When ready to cook form into 6 patties. Cook for 25 minutes. Then turn to broil and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. We like lettuce, tomato, red onion, pickle and a spicy mustard.