Coconut Crusted Eggplant
Author: The Seasonal Diet
- 1 large or 4 small eggplants
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- 4 Tbsp. tamari
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- sea salt
- Wash and slice eggplant into thin slices. Place on a large plate or cutting board, sprinkle with salt (evenly over each slice) and allow to sit out for 15-30 minutes. This will remove the water and get rid of the spongy texture.
- Pat dry eggplant and turn oven to broil. Place eggplant in two 8x8 baking dishes or one extra-large baking dish. Broil eggplant for 10 minutes, then remove and turn oven to 350˚F. Pour tamari evenly onto the eggplant (keeping eggplant in the dishes) mix around with fork or spatula.
- Next, pour and mix spaghetti sauce together with the nutritional yeast and garlic powder in a bowl. Pour sauce over eggplant evenly.
- Lastly place pumpkin seeds in a coffee grinder and grind into a rough powder (food processor will work also).
- Sprinkle ground pumpkin seeds and coconut flakes over the top and bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot.